Corporate And Commercial
The Corporate Division at Affinity Law offers valuable advice for a variety of businesses. We provide our clients with practical business models and structures that suit their business objectives while limiting their liability.
Whether your business is a sole proprietorship, a family business, a partnership, corporation, or cooperative, our corporate and commercial lawyers will give you the tools you need to confidently and successfully navigate in your particular industry. We can advise you on tax issues, mergers, transactions, internal issues, customs, and resolution of disputes. If your business is experiencing difficulties with funding, profits, or has excessive debt, we have the knowledge and experience to guide you through the process of making the best decisions that can meet your needs.
Our highly seasoned, capable and professional corporate team understands the on-going challenges of our commercial clients. That’s why at Affinity Law, our corporate division provides comprehensive legal solutions in the most efficient manner.
Below is a list of our Corporate Offerings:
Business Formation/Incorporation/Partnership/Joint Ventures
The form of your business entity depends on numerous factors and your business objectives. We can arrange and counsel you on any business entity that is appropriate for you, including:
- Sole proprietorship—this gives you control over all business decisions, is easy and inexpensive to set up, and all profits go to you. There are also certain tax advantages. However, your personal assets are at risk to creditor claims.
- Partnership—you and your partners share equally in funding, profits, and share of assets. However, you are still personally liable for all business debts and are financially bound by any decisions made by any partner.
- Corporation—these entities have distinct advantages in areas of taxation and limited liability. Raising capital is easier but corporations are heavily regulated, and all formalities must be followed.
- Joint ventures—parties to joint ventures are two or more entities agreeing to shared resources and knowledge for carrying out a certain transaction or undertaking a project. These may be contractual or corporate. An Affinity law corporate and commercial lawyer can advise you on which is suitable for you.
Sharia Compliant Financing
Sharia financing allows our clients to conduct financial transactions while respecting Islamic law. An attractive feature of this type of financing is that lenders are forbidden to charge interest. Money is made by the lender purchasing the underlying product of the transaction and then selling or leasing it on installments to the client, which is typically more than its market value. Islamic financing is rapidly growing and is a serious competitor to Western banks. Let our legal team advise and find you the appropriate lender and counsel you on any issues that may arise.
Avoiding conflicts, disputes and litigation is a primary object of any contract. Affinity lawyers ensure that agreements are clear and specific in its terms and accurately reflects the intentions of the parties. Our lawyers will counsel you on such diverse matters as:
- Commercial leases
- Joint ventures
- Financial service contracts
- Service and supply agreements
- Construction and development
- Nonpayment disagreements
- Partnership and corporate disputes
Any business needs a strong legal foundation so you can focus on expanding your business. We will advise you on which business entity is most beneficial for your interests and goals as well as on all applicable regulations, rules and laws. We also offer guidance on:
- Intellectual property issues
- Licensing agreements
- NDAs and non-competition agreements
- By-laws and organizational matters
- Drafting commercial agreements
- Employment and human resource issues
Commercial Franchising and Leasing
As our client, you will have access to our team of dedicated and knowledgeable professionals regarding regulations, taxes, mergers and acquisitions, and all other matters affecting your business. Affinity lawyers help established and growing franchises get off the ground or expand across Canada, into the United States, and internationally. We can assist you with:
- Franchise arrangements
- Intellectual property (protection of trademarks, copyrights, patents, web sites and other IP matters)
- Litigation (breach of duty of fair dealing, restrictive covenant issues, alternative dispute resolution)
- International franchising
- Licensing agreements
- Privacy and record retention requirements
- Marketing and distribution (packaging, labeling, consumer protection laws, food and drug laws, other regulations)
- Tax laws, sales tax issues, royalties
Capital is essential to the sustainability and growth of any business. At Affinity Law, we offer a variety of services to get you the capital that you need:
- Negotiating Loan agreements
- Drafting promissory notes
- Preparing security agreements
- Personal property security registrations
- Advise on mortgages and liens
International Business Transactions
Affinity lawyers are seasoned professionals in providing legal counsel to our clients who have or are seeking international business interests. Our advice is wide-ranging on matters such as incorporation, financing, mergers and acquisitions, asset protection, commercial real estate, licensing, taxes, and intellectual property.
Acquiring a business is a complex matter with divergent issues. Failing to address any one of them or receiving incomplete or erroneous advice can cost your company substantially. Our skilled team of Affinity lawyers and staff will properly counsel you on corporate and commercial law, real estate, immigration, banking laws, construction law, and others. Our lawyers work closely with business brokers and can work out structured payment plans where applicable in which payment of a portion of the purchase price is dependent on future performance.
Insolvency and Restructuring
The Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act and Companies’ Creditors’ Arrangement Act are controlling in this area of the law. When challenging circumstances threaten your business, we can offer a wide range of services:
- Capital restructuring
- Insolvency proceedings
- Crisis management
- Plans of Arrangement
- Plans of Reorganization
- Plans of Compromise
- Debtor’s counsel
- Lender’s counsel
- Liquidator’s counsel
- Trustee’s counsel
- Regulatory counsel
Business Partner Disputes
Like any relationship, disputes often arise, and business partners are not exempt. When disagreements over business decisions or management arise, if there are allegations of misconduct, disagreement over the terms of the partnership agreement or the division of capital or profits, or if a partner wants a buyout, you need highly skilled legal counsel who can assess your interests, goals, rights, and obligations. In some cases, injunctive relief may be necessary to bar a partner from moving or diverting assets or from stealing your clients, and to protect your intellectual property. Alternative dispute resolution can often resolve many internal disputes. Call Affinity Law if your business is experiencing these typical disagreements.
Real Estate Construction Disputes
All too often, issues in real estate construction can derail a project, delay construction, cause extensive damage, or otherwise create significant legal problems. At Affinity Law, we represent owners, developers, contractors, suppliers, lenders, trades, and suppliers. Issues that we have handled include:
- Design-build contracts
- Claims for extras
- Employment and labour disputes
- Delay claims
- Fraud claims
- Claims for defective workmanship
- Claims regarding contaminated properties
- Claims regarding use of defective materials
When disputes delay a project, our team of construction lawyers provide mediation, arbitration, or litigation to get the project back on track. Call us today to see how Affinity Law can offer you the services and guidance you need to give your business the best opportunity to achieve your goals.
Call us today for a consultation at (647) 846-2037